Friday, September 17, 2010

Oh Rosie...

For this upcoming class we were to come up with an interpretive label for our exhibits. I wasn't sure what to use until I found a painting of Rosie the Riveter by Norman Rockwell. At first I thought it was kind of interesting because it is so different from the Rosie picture released by the War Production Co-Ordinating Committee in 1943. But when one of my room mates saw the picture, she pointed out a few things that really angered me. First off, if you were to take out Rosie's head in the Rockwell photo, she has the body of a man. And second, in her left hand she is holding a sandwich. Really Rockwell?! What is that supposed to mean?!?! Well as angry as I was about it, I decided to use it anyways. As an interpretive label I thought I could use the Rockwell version as well as the famous Rosie and let my "visitors" decide for themselves what they think and which Rosie looks more realistic to them!

No comments:

Post a Comment